Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Review: The Power Based Life








Recently, I was sent a copy of The Power Based Life by Mike Flynt (aka: the guy who inspired the Friday Night Lights TV show). Upon receipt of the book, I was excited and ready to dive in, ready to learn his strategies to understand what I was born to do. 

I anxiously tore open the package and started reading, and to my utter disappointment, it was strangely similar to Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado :( Although this book is meant to be a tool for you to put his twelve "strategies" in to practice for your own life, it came across as more of a platform to discuss his personal achievements, so much so that I felt the message of the whole book had gotten lost. 

Now, the idea of the book is to present twelve strategies for a "power based" life. These 12 strategies include: 
Power Base: Play to your strengths; 
Basics: Master the Essentials
Mindscapes: Cultivate a Winning Attitude
Visualization: See What Can Be
Belief: Defy the Skeptics
Commitment: Move Forward Relentlessly
Team: Know Who You Play For
Identification: Fly Your Flag
Adversity: Turn Your Difficulties to Your Advantage
Compassion: Practice Radical Mercy
Time: Maximize Your Moments
Body: Sow in Health, Reap a Longer Life

As I said at the beginning of this review, the first chapter is uncannily similar to Cure for the Common Life and that really bothered me; the last thing I wanted to do was read *another* book that it seems I've already read before because the principles are so darn similar. Unfortunately for me, this book never turned around or caught my interest...all I kept thinking about was "I thought this was supposed to be a motivational book, not an autobiography". 

All in all, this was not a good book for me, but I do think my husband is enjoying it, perhaps because he can relate with the football/fitness thing better than I can. As a not-interested-in-sports femal, I give this book 2 stars.

If you would like to purchase this book it is for sale on Amazon




 Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

0 comments: