Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Albertsons Trip 6/13

I've taken the past few weeks off of couponing, questioning whether it was really worth all the effort that I put in to it. Nonetheless, I just couldn't stay away, especially after I saw some of the savings I could have this week. I took a trip to Albertson's to take advantage of the doublers. Typically the shelves are BARE for things that are on sale, but I found Albertsons to be well stocked and prepared this time around. Everything I came for was in stock except for a few of the cereals that were on sale such as Cocoa Puffs and Lucky Charms. They had *plenty* of Cheerios and Mult-grain Cheerios, and since the MG cheerios are usually a little bit more expensive, I used this opportunity to grab a few boxes :) These deals run through *today* so if you happen to read this today, you can see exactly what I paid! I'm writing the initial prices pre-sale and pre-promotion, so for example this week they have a "save $5 when you buy 10 items". I'm listing the items BEFORE that discount, so keep that in mind. Some prices were with the preferred card, so for simplicity's sake, I just listed the preferred card price :)


Original Prices:

Old El-Paso taco seasoning - $.99 x 4 = $3.96
Welch Fruit snacks - $2.50 x 2 = $5.00
Bisquick Shake-n-Pour- $1.25 x 2 = $2.50
Cap'n Crunch cereal (on clearance- the big box) - $2.00
Multi-Grain cheerios/Golden Grahams - $2.38 x 3 = $7.14
Chicken Helper/Hamburger Helper - $1.49 x 3 = $4.47
Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles (gluten free for oldest boy AND on clearance) - $1.67 x 4 =$6.68
Totinos Pizza Rolls- $1.49 x 2 = $2.98
Totinos Pizzas - $1.49 x 4 = $5.96
Yoplait Smoothies - $3.49 x 2 = $6.98
Buddig Lunchmeat- $3.50 x 2 = $7

Total= $54.67

With coupons AND sale:
Welch Fruit snacks= $.55 w/ doubler- $3.90

Cap'n Crunch cereal= $.50 w/ doubler- $1.00

Multi-grain Cheerios & Golden Grahams- $1.00 w/ doubler= $5.64
* With sale: -$1.50 = Final Price: $3.64

Hamburger/Chicken helper= $.75 = $3.72
*With sale: -$1.50= Final Price: $2.22

Totino's Pizza rolls= $.40 = $2.58
*With Sale: -$1.00= Final Price:  $1.58

Totino's Pizzas= $.75 w/ doubler = $4.46
*With Sale: -$2.00= Final Price: $2.46

Yoplait Smoothies= $1 coupon w/doubler & $.75 coupon- $4.23
*With Sale: -$1.00= Final Price: $3.23

Buddig Lunchmeat= (2) $1 coupons w/ one doubler- $4

Shake-n-pour= $2.50
With Sale: -$1.00= Final Price: $1.50

Taco seasoning= $3.96
*With Sale: -$2.00= Final Price: $1.96

Fruity Pebbles= $6.68  **against my better judgment, there was a coupon for this that I chose not to print, so savings could have been better!!

Total with coupons AND sale: $32.17

Savings = $22.50 or 41%

Price per item BEFORE savings= $1.88
Price per item AFTER savings= $1.10 or $.78 off per item :)

Highlights
  • The BIG box of Cap'n Crunch. I've had the coupon in my purse for ages just waiting for it to go on sale. I just happen to notice the green "clearance" tag and there were plenty of boxes. If only I could find some more Cap'n Crunch coupons, I'd buy some more boxes for the stock pile I'd like to start!
  • Yoplait Smoothies. I've been wanting to try these but they're always so expensive. I was so excited to get the $1/1 coupon from their facebook page, PLUS the $.75 off that was in the coupon inserts this week (I think it was this week!!) With the sale, I paid $1.61 per package. Without the sale and coupons, these are normally priced at $3.49 so I think I got a GREAT deal.
  • Buddig Lunchmeat. Lunchmeat is always so expensive, so I was excited about the 2/$7 sale at Albertsons. Then I saw that Safeway has them on sale, B1G1 free :( I DO NOT shop at Safeway, and I'm not telling YOU to not shop there, but I dislike their store/prices/employees. However, I was able to print 2 $1 off coupons and use one of my doublers for a price that was too good to pass up and almost just as good as Safeway's deal. 
  • Shake-n-Pour pancakes. These are fantastic to put in the camper and make a quick, easy breakfast. I'm all OVER this sale and am considering going back and purchasing 10 more for my stockpile. We eat a lot of pancakes when we're camping...so sue me! And I promise, I will NOT clear the shelves. Albertsons had these very well-stocked as well, which I really appreciate.


Couponing can be pretty confusing if you don't know what you're doing, and it's no wonder that I was so put off by it for so long because coupon policies are different at EVERY store (even different locations of a chain store like Walmart) and it gets difficult to follow and remember all of the policies. I also purchased some fruits/veggies and tortilla chips that I didn't take in to account here because I'm illustrating the savings of using coupons/sales together. I was excited that most everything in my purchase had a coupon, and even if it was only cents off, it doesn't matter because money is money! 


I'm also getting more familiar with what things should cost, so shopping at Albertsons can be tricky because there are things that seem like a good deal, but are much cheaper elsewhere. Vitamin water was 4 for $5, but they're on sale right now somewhere else for $1. I'm actually holding out for another buy 10 get $5 off promotion when VitaminWater is included so I can stock up. I hope it's soon!







0 comments: