Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Review: The Skin Map






The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead
2 Stars
Ah...The Skin Map...oh how you disappoint! 

I was so excited to read this book per the previous reviews, and in fact, I was so excited I actually decided to read this in e-book format instead of requesting a regular ol' paper book. I started reading immediately, and I was immediately disappointed.
The Skin Map  tells of the adventures of Kit Livingstone, a 27 year old man who is unhappy with his plain life, plain girlfriend, and plain London flat. Suddenly, he happens upon another dimension where he encounters his great grandfather who then informs him that he has the ability to travel to alternate dimensions/universes...whatever you wish to call them. At its core, this is a novel about time travel/alternate universes. I can't say much more about the book without giving away important details, or "spoilers", so I'll stop there. 

I felt that Kit was a poorly developed character, and I really got sick of all the negativity. I want to sit and enjoy a book, I want to feel something. I want to connect with the characters. There was none of that going on for me. Simply put: I didn't like it. 
Overall, I cannot say that I recommend this book. I'm not known for liking fiction, so I'm giving this two stars because if fiction is your thing, you may enjoy the book. I, however, won't be returning to this book. 

If you're interested in purchasing, Amazon sells this book. 
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

0 comments: