Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What's in store for 2012?

The new year is kind of weird, isn't it? Methinks it strange how so many people regard it as a "fresh start" when in reality, every day lends the possibility of a fresh start :) Just a random observation to kick off this new year!

I do love hearing about other peoples' resolutions, though. What I don't particularly like is hearing about their "failure" to keep their resolution. Now, I think it's important to note that I'm more of a short-term person, so to set a resolution to maintain for the whole year scares the pants off me. I'm not saying that people who don't keep their new year's resolutions are failing, but they seem to think so! I've seen so many friends admit "defeat" after a month or so...realistically, you haven't failed. Tomorrow is a new day, so get back on that horse and go again!

The other thing that I don't particularly like is when people set these unrealistic resolutions or expectations of themselves. Although I commend their effort and their desire to set high expectations for themselves, sometimes they're not always realistic. A few years ago I set a "resolution" to clean my entire house every day...it was an effort to gain some control in my life, or what I *thought* would be control. I failed miserably. After a few days of not seeing out my resolution, I felt completely beat down and like a total failure. How realistic is it to set a resolution to clean a 2300 square foot home with several people living in it EVERY DAY? The ENTIRE house? How realistic is it that bathrooms need to be scrubbed down every day? My resolution was a little too big, and I think that's an issue many people have-the resolution is HUGE! 


My suggestion for keeping a "new year's resolution", or if you like my approach-a new day resolution, I recommend these things:


1. Take baby steps! If you have a BIG goal that you'd like to accomplish, resolve to do a little bit at a time. Moderation is key...too big of a goal can seem daunting and stifle your motivation. 


2. Make sure your resolution is realistic. This is extremely important because while it may seem that others are able to work out for one hour per day, every day, this might not be realistic for you. I'm happy if I get a shower every day...working out for that long every day isn't entirely realistic for me. And it's important to note here that my daily resolution isn't necessarily to put in an hour on the elliptical, but just to be more active! Sit less, move more!

3. If you have an "off day", don't beat yourself up about it. Say that there is a day when it's just impossible for you to do what you had resolved to do. Don't beat yourself up about it, but remember that *every day* is a fresh start, so start over tomorrow. 


4. Start. That's the best advice I can give. Follow steps 1-3 and then START! 


5. It's okay to have a day off! Never forget that you need some time to check out and do what you need to do :) If you're so focused on your goals that you are neglecting other things around you (husband, kids, feeding the dog, taking care of yourself), that's bad juju. You need to take a day off every now and then. 


It's important to set goals in life otherwise we really have nothing to look forward to. Don't get discouraged if you see others around you doing things that you seemingly can't do, and don't get discouraged if it feels like you're not accomplishing all that you wanted to accomplish. Less comparison, more focusing on yourself and what you need to do. 


I hope everyone has a blessed 2012 and remembers that every day is a fresh start! January 1 is NOT the only day that you can set goals or "resolutions" for yourself :)

0 comments: