Thursday, March 1, 2012

Skool

I've had homeschooling on my heart for a little while, and while I briefly attempted to do preschool with my now-7 year old at home, at that point in time, I failed miserably. I never thought I'd be able to pull off homeschooling, but now I'm faced with a big decision and the opportunity to try my hand at it. 

With hubby working in a different state and us relocating there shortly, I have to decide whether I want to put my kiddos in Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade in our new town when there is a high probability that we will move again in the next few years. Homeschooling actually seems like the logical choice, but it's still a scary decision to make. However, this is a small, small town. I doubt that there will be co-ops and groups and activities for homeschoolers...something that is readily available here. 

However, I'm really beginning to lose faith in the public school system. Even private schools aren't all they're cracked up to be anymore. I firmly believe that parental influence and involvement is a huge factor in school success, sometimes I think that a parent can be really involved, but the student just doesn't get what they need *at* school. 

Case in point: Straight A student cannot spell worth beans. What kind of straight A student can't spell? In middle school? This seems so incredibly backwards to me. This person...I don't think it's necessarily their fault, after all, if the teacher (or parent) never corrects improper grammar, spelling, or punctuation, how are they supposed to know it's wrong? However, how can a student go through school writing papers and speeches and still get an 'A' without being able to spell? 

I find this highly frustrating. 

At this point, said 7 year old son is struggling in school. Despite my best efforts, he just doesn't "get" it. My husband is dyslexic and I often wonder about my kiddo, determining what's normal and what's not. The teacher, God bless her soul she's a wonderful lady, but she's maddeningly unhelpful! I try my best and we get through some of it, but it's taken me awhile to realize that my son needs a different style of teaching. I'm not trying to sound conceited, but learning always came naturally to me, especially history and language arts. I couldn't understand why my son wasn't understanding what I was teaching him at home with his homework because I was teaching it *exactly* like his teacher. He would get frustrated, I would get frustrated. Step in Mr. Wonderful-scary-good-at-math-husband. He began going over math with our son and he picked it up almost immediately. The problem was that he wasn't teaching him the "right" way to do things. He said "I've always done math this way, I've always learned this way, and it's 'wrong' ?" 

That got me thinking...it's not necessarily wrong, it's just a different style. I can't help but wonder if my son would be less frustrated and understanding things better if he were taught that way instead of the way the school teaches? So, this gets me to thinking about homeschool-for one, because I think that the school system is doing our children a huge injustice if they're handing out 'A' grades to kids who can't spell, and for two because my son clearly needs to be taught a different style. 

I hate making decisions like this, especially when it affects my kids' future!

1 comments:

Keekee said...

Our school math curriculum drives me nuts. It isn't what we were taught. 1+1=2 and that is just the way it is. They teach the kids SEVERAL different ways to get to the answer and if you ask them WHY does 1+1=2 each child might have a different correct answer to why it is what it is. It isn't a bunch of memorizing facts anymore. It is hard for me to grasp but it is helping a LOT of students succeed because they all have a different learning style. Maybe when you move the schools there will have a different style that will help him.