Tuesday, March 6, 2012

We're going "Bare Bones"

For the past 5 1/2 years, we have called this place "home". We've been proud to call it home; we've brought two babies home from the hospital here, watched first steps being taken, watched kids fight here...it's hard to leave a place that holds so much. 

However, this place holds more than memories...it holds stuff. Almost six years of accumulated stuff, to be exact. While we'll be sad to leave this place and the memories it holds, we're not sad to say goodbye to our stuff, and that is why we're choosing a "bare bones" move. 

I believe that Americans have an unhealthy attachment to stuff. After all, what do we really need? This is often a question I think we are afraid to ask ourselves. If you had 15 minutes to gather your belongings, what would you grab? First of all, you'd be surprised at what you can round up in 15 minutes...but I already know what I would grab. However, I have more than 15 minutes, I have about 15 weeks. In light of this, I need to get rid of a lot of this stuff. 

This isn't a popular view to take, however. Yes, it is expensive to sell everything and then replace it later, but when you have no intention of "replacing" it, when you genuinely plan to live on less, then selling is the way to go. And that is exactly what I intend to do. If it doesn't sell, it goes to goodwill. 

Currently I have about 13 bags ready for the giveaway truck, and I'll have more by the end of the week. I also have high chairs and other big items, and I'm sure that there's a hungry dumpster out there just *waiting* for all of our broken stuff and miscellaneous trash. But still, even my family thinks it's crazy that I'm just doing away with most of our stuff. But the fact of the matter is that this stuff has so little value, is it even worth moving? Not only little monetary value, but sentimental value as well. In fact, as I look around, I can name on one hand the items I'd like to keep- my dining room table, my vanity, my Playstation, and my computer. That's it! 

As I go through the motions of paring things down, I'm going to have to make some tough decisions, and I have a feeling that not many people could do a "bare bones" move because there's not only so much stuff, but often times, we let our "stuff" define us. When we throw something away, we feel like we're throwing away a part of ourselves; and when someone low-balls us on something that we're trying to sell, we often feel like they are devaluing *us*. The challenge is to not let my stuff define me and to no longer let it run or ruin my life...

So...Happy cleaning. 

0 comments: