Saturday, February 2, 2013

Out of the mouths...

Kids say the darndest...they really do. If I had a nickel for every awesome thing one of my kids said, I'd have a lot of nickels, that's for sure! 

Saturday is my "kitchen" day. Since it's my husband's Monday, I enjoy sending him off to work, starting the week with an amazing, home-cooked meal. It's like Sunday dinner on Saturday/hubby's Monday :) It's something I've just recently started and it's something I really enjoy. People meander in and out of the kitchen throughout the day, but I'm a constant fixture in there from breakfast until about 2 PM cooking, cleaning, and getting things set up for the big meal. 

Today, Owen decided to join me toward the tail-end of my cooking. Things were starting to tone down a bit since everything was prepared and was almost finished cooking. I'm cleaning up, washing a few dishes, and my wonderful 7 year old, our second-born, pipes up and tells me about how when I grow old, he'll be there to keep me company. He talked about all the cooking that he would do for me, all the visits we would have together, and how I'll never get lonely. He said he'll drive me around when I can't see anymore, and he'll bring me over to his house to visit his family. 

He then started talking about his family. He hopes to have 10 kids! He hopes to marry a woman that would prefer to stay at home and take care of the family while he takes care of her. He hopes to raise respectful children. But most of all, he's excited to share it with me and my husband :) 

The things that he says make my heart smile all the time, but this took the cake. What he said to me today has had more impact on me than anything he's ever said before. 

Raising a son that wants to take responsibility for his family, that wants to respect his wife and take care of her, and that wants to raise respectful children is a really big compliment to me and my husband, at least *I* think so. I don't know many 7 year olds that think about the future the way that he does, and I can say for sure that his brothers definitely don't. I just find it interesting. 

Now, confession time. Just before he came up to the kitchen I was sitting there thinking "Why do I bother with this? Why not just have it be like any other *regular* day?" Well, truth be told, if I hadn't been doing what I was doing at that very moment, there's a very big chance that I would have never heard his vision for his future, and that makes me sad. 

But for now, I'm glad that God gave me the opportunity to hear the wonderful things that my son had to say today. It really put a smile in my soul :)

0 comments: