Thursday, October 10, 2013

We've come a long way since paper blinds

When Brandon and I bought our first house, we had paper blinds. Yes, PAPER blinds. I cannot remember for the life of me where we found them, but you cut them to size and they looked like those "accordion-style" blinds. We used to hold them up with chip clips :)
I had always made such a huge deal about getting new blinds, but we just never had the money. It bothered me to no end; they were such an eyesore!
Now we're in our second house and I finally got the pretty blinds that I always insisted on having. However, my thinking seems to have changed drastically; do they make me any happier? No. Do I walk out in to the living room and say "Oh my gosh, my blinds make me feel so great?" Absolutely not. Is someone going to come in to my house and say "My, my, what MAGNIFICENT blinds you have?" More than likely, no.
Why on Earth did I press for new blinds when the paper ones were working just fine? Did it really bother me, or was I concerned about what people were thinking when they walked by my house?
More often than not, I believe that the way we live our lives is to appear a certain way to someone else. Some call this keeping up with the Joneses, but in the words of Dave Ramsey, "The Joneses are BROKE!" This doesn't only apply to material things, but ourselves as well. How many of us have crash dieted before a wedding because SO many people we know will be there and we don't want to be "that" person that looks like she completely went to pots? (Raises hand). How many of us have changed something about ourselves because we received a less-than-favorable reaction from others? (Raises hand). How many of us have changed something about our living situation/car/yard/kids because someone expressed a less-than-favorable reaction? (Raises hand). How many of us have made poor decisions with our money because we had to have that latest, greatest gadget/car/house/clothing? (Raises hand).
Has anyone ever wondered why we do this? Why we have this "need" to impress others where we actually alter our lives to conform to someone else's idea of "ideal" or "hip" or "rich" or "cool"?

0 comments: