Thursday, February 13, 2014

40 Day Retreat with Jesus: Day 13

Today we are still in Ephesians. I have to admit I'm not overly familiar with this particular part of the Bible but I am enjoying this book ;)

Today's focus: Ephesians 5:6-20

Since this is a lot of typing, open your Bible and read it yourself, and I'll post the commentary as a summary from my Compass study Bible :)

Wisdom is a rare commodity. Paul urges believers, then and now, to walk wisely. It involves living well every day. Time itself seems to be co-opted by dark forces. But when believers understand God's will, avoid drunkenness, and allow God to fill them with His Spirit, they are able to walk wisely and live well. The Spirit-filled life is not just for a special few; it is the normal Christian life, and it affects everything, including how we live in community and how we treat others at home.
I notice when I'm not living the word...I don't know about anyone else, but I can tell that it doesn't seem like God's light is shining on my activity. Sometimes I do things without even really thinking about them and only after do I realize the err of my ways. This has prompted me to pray throughout the day for God's guidance in the decisions that I have to make every single day. I desperately want to live a spirit-filled life, but it is so much easier said than done, especially for me!

0 comments: