Saturday, March 1, 2014

Review: Compass: The study Bible for Navigating your Life


                                      Compass: The Study Bible for Navigating Your Life
                                                         Thomas Nelson Publishing
                                                            The Voice Translation
                                                             Rating: Five Stars

Oh sweet Jesus, how I LOVE me some Bibles! I'm not sure when it started, but I have loved Bibles for as long as I can remember. So, when the opportunity came up to review this study Bible from Booklook Bloggers, I jumped at the chance. A week and a half later, this beauty was sitting on my doorstep. I couldn't wait to crack it open...and it turns out, my excitement was everything this was chalked up to be. 

This particular study Bible uses a translation that I had been unfamiliar with until now-the Voice translation. This takes traditional scripture and turns it in to an easy-to-read, beautiful format absolutely perfect for study, reflection, prayer, and even just for something I like to call "ear candy". The first thing I noticed was the different types in the Bible; it had bold-faced type, italics, delineated material, and of course, standard type. Each type of type (haha, that's hard to say) indicates either a dynamic translation, an added point, or thoughts and ideas that help bring out the original meaning of a phrase or the original idea. This, in addition to the screenplay format, was immensely helpful in reading and understanding, even for a guy like my husband who, although extremely brilliant, can barely read due to his dyslexia. All of this is explained in the preface and in the pages prior to the start of the actual Bible, and I highly recommend taking a gander at all of the explanations and read about how this Bible was put together and how it works. 

Additionally, there are supplements to the normal readings. There is a 40 day retreat with Jesus reading guide, as well as a guide intended to get you through the Bible in one year. The 40 day retreat is something I'm doing myself and I'm finding it highly enjoyable. The other thing I love about this Bible is that it's the whole kit-n-caboodle...Old Testament, Proverbs, Psalms, New Testament. Sometimes that can be hard to find. 

As for the quality, well, it's stunning. The book jacket is durable and smooth and hasn't fallen off my Bible once; the hard-cover and binding are of superb quality; and the pages are not easy to tear. Believe me, with five children running around and one nursing while I'm trying to read the Bible, many a page has fallen victim to tiny hands tearing at them. Not so with this Bible, the pages are durable and not at all flimsy.

I really, REALLY like this Bible, if you couldn't tell. I'd even venture to say it is my absolute favorite so far which really says something because I was a HUGE "The Message" fan up until now. This presents the Bible in such a beautiful, easy-to-read format that it's almost as if I want to ask "What's NOT to like?"

Overall, I highly recommend this, I think it's a great addition to anyone's bookshelf! Yes I would use this as my main, go-to Bible and I actually plan to do that. If you are interested in a copy of this Bible for your collection, you can purchase it here


Disclaimer: I was provided this book from BookLook Bloggers for my fair and honest opinion. All opinions expressed are my own, unbiased opinions.

1 comments:

Lauren Monsey Nagel said...

I am your newest follower. I enjoyed this review of this new Bible. I am reviewing this same book.