Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Review: 4 Abundant Life

4 Abundant Life: 4 Biblical Truths to Experience a Life of Abundance
Drs. Eric and Joanna Oestmann
Rating: 3 1/2 stars
 
 
 
Everyone would love to live a life of abundance, am I right? At least, an abundance of the good stuff in life, like love, prosperity, happiness, etc. I know I would! That sort of attitude is what really intrigued me about this book, the title itself implies that the Lord would like us to have a life of abundance and provides Biblical truths to back up that assumption. I was really excited to read this book, but ultimately it only got three and a half stars. Why?Well, I'll get to that ;)

The book is broken down in to four sections which serve as the four Biblical truths to living an abundant life:
1) We are annointed to prosper
2) at an appointed time
3)when we use our talents and gifts
4) for the glory of Him

Each section goes in to further explain the meaning of the title of the section and uses scripture to back up what is being said. The chapters are rather comprehensive and give the reader the opportunity to probe for deeper meaning/thinking, as well as ask the reader questions that allow the person to apply it to their life. Sure, it's nice to have things spelled out for me, but I'm so much more a hands-on person...I want to know how what I just read will affect me and help me in my life, so the recap section at the end of the chapters was just wonderful. There are other sections and probing questions that are conducive to a greater understanding of the book and help really make the reader think. 

However, I did give the book only 3.5 stars for a reason. The first reason is because the authors refer to another work/religious figure that I simply cannot endorse and will not mention here. It's enough for me to take a tick out of the score, but is likely not a big issue for other people. My personal preference and in my own opinion, this person's "works" could've been left out of the book and nothing would have been missed from it. 

The second reason is because the book felt slow to start and really had a hard time keeping my interest at times. I don't like a boring read...it doesn't have to be "exciting" by any means, but it does need to be engaging. I did not feel that this was as engaging as it had potential to be. 

Nonetheless, I would definitely recommend this book to a friend, simply because it *does* explain, in a rather effective way, some great Biblical ideas about living an abundant life that is outside of maybe what "mainstream" abundance looks like...we're talking Biblical abundance, and I think there's always something to be said for books that do explore ideas from a more Biblical perspective. 

If you're interested in this book, you can purchase it on Amazon!



Notice: This book was provided to me for free in exchange for my honest opinion. The thoughts expressed here are my honest thoughts on the book...
 
 

0 comments: