Thursday, July 30, 2015

Book Review: What Keeps you up at Night

What Keeps you up at Night: How to find peace while chasing your dreams
Pete Wilson
"I encourage you to think of this book as a field guide to ruthlessly understanding God's plan - even in the face of difficulty and uncertainty" (p. XXII)
It seems that books addressing fear, uncertainty, finding your purpose, and living on faith and trusting God could almost comprise an entire genre in and of themselves. I believe we as a species have always dealt with fear, uncertainty...struggling to lean on God when we are faced with some of the big questions. I'm not even entirely sure if this is a new "phenomenon" with all of these books being written to address these issues. And perhaps it just seems like the market is flooded with such books because like a moth to flame, I gravitate toward these types of books. 
In What Keeps you up at Night, Pete Wilson attempts to address those very things-fear, uncertainty, finding your purpose, and trusting in God/living in faith while experiencing those scary emotions. It would be great if we could feel secure in everything that we do, but we don't. We need faith.  

As much as I hate to say it, this book was just like many of the other books that I've read on this subject. I didn't like it as much as the others, though...it was dry. I would recommend this book to those who haven't already read many with this subject matter, as it gets a bit redundant and I feel other writings have tackled the subject a bit better, more engaging. It's not a terrible book by any means, but I still only give it 3.5/5 stars.

If you're interested in checking this book out, you can purchase it here!


I was provided a copy of this book free of charge from BookLook bloggers in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own! 

0 comments: